Learning from each other is essential. The Red Cross has institutionalized the process of learning through their International Fundraising Skillshare, by which they pull together some of their marketing partners and leaders from around the world to teach and inspire one another.
A couple of weeks ago, I was invited to attend the Ninth Annual Fundraising Skillshare, hosted by the British Red Cross, to discuss the tremendous success we’re having working with the Canadian Red Cross on their matching gifts program. I was among 200 delegates from more than 50 national societies! And since my fellow learners found these insights to be advantageous, I thought it would be helpful to share them with you, too.
Here are some key takeaways you need to know about matching gifts, the proven winners.
A Winning Package Includes:
- Encouraging and clear donation language: “Every dollar you send us will be worth triple!”
- A cut-off date to qualify for the matching gift program
- A voucher for easy return, noting the new worth of the most popular donation amounts
- A premium item (notepads and pens have proven to be the most successful)
While corporate sponsors are ideal for matching, it’s not necessary for a corporation to provide the match. Other match options include:
- An individual
- Group of vendors
- Group of individuals
- Gift in kind by corporation
- Multi-year corporate sponsorship
The biggest impact occurs when:
- You have a healthy multi donor file
- You have a match program
- A disaster occurs
Now you know . . . there is no match for matching gifts!
Michelle Watt is a Vice President at Innovairre Communications, which supports more than 500 nonprofit organizations around the world. For more information about matching gifts and other winning fundraising strategy, contact us at Answers@Innovairre.com. Subscribe to our newsletter here. Follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.